Mounting issue

Mission Rider

Grasshopper
I saw a torn up custom trike sitting in a yard in my neighborhood and stopped to talk to the owner. A few minutes later and a little cash lighter, I put the fairing off of it into the back of my car. He called a few days later to tell me he had the matching luggage. Well, he was dead wrong. But more cash changed hands and I took home the luggage.

A couple buddies came up from the Valley of the Sun to help me figure out how to mount everything and give me a materials list. When I have the materials, they will come back. Here's the problem:

The fairing. It's a Pacifico but mounts like the Vetters. It should have a bracket that goes down to the downtubes. But on the Magna with its big radiator and air scoops, the downtubes are well hidden. The awesome folks over at the Sabre/Magna forum have referred me back to the XS11 which doesn't suffer from the same problem.

Has anybody here had to solve this problem? I wanted to bring supports straight forward from the horizontal tubes under the tank but my friends think they will not be stiff enough. I do have the case guards but I'd need someone with skills to make anything reach down there without looking horrible. So....?

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Mission, I am not familiar with the Pacifico fairings. What bike are you trying to mount the fairing on? Ill take a peek around and see what I can find for you.

Mission Rider

Grasshopper
Pacifico was also used by Yamaha. It mounts like the Vetters with the "flange" on the bottom inside edge. My bike is a 1985 V65 Honda Magna.

If I mount this thing, I'll need to make it easy to remove since I'll block access to the radiator cap.

TwoLazy

Grasshopper
I'm not familiar with the Honda Magna, but take a look at the Vetter Phantom method of mounting the fairing, then look at the 80s Harley FXRT and how they mounted that fairing. If you're having lower mount issues then perhaps you can mount it from the top and just stabilize the bottom .. just food for thought. Which ever way you go, you'll need to fabricate the mounts.

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
The Kawasaki KZ-1000's had the same mounting problems. Kawasaki solved the problem by using separate mounts that attached to the frame behind the radiator on each side and a mount that attached to the head tube and a bracket between the optional horn bracket mounts. The horn brackets mounted inside the fairing and bolted to the fairing via 2 holes on each side. Those holes were not drilled from the factory but indention’s were molded into the fairing on the Windjammer 4's. This made drilling them easy for the customer if they purchased that optional horn kit. Below is a picture of the mounting brackets used on those KZ1000 and KZ1300 "Touring" Bikes with Kawasaki by Vetter Windjammer Fairings.

KZ1300-part.aspx

MagnAndy

Grasshopper
I would love to find out what happened as I am about to mount a Windjammer 5 on my V65 Magna!. Naturally I have to fab everything.

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
The Kawasaki KZ-1000's had the same mounting problems. Kawasaki solved the problem by using separate mounts that attached to the frame behind the radiator on each side and a mount that attached to the head tube and a bracket between the optional horn bracket mounts. The horn brackets mounted inside the fairing and bolted to the fairing via 2 holes on each side. Those holes were not drilled from the factory but indention’s were molded into the fairing on the Windjammer 4's. This made drilling them easy for the customer if they purchased that optional horn kit. Below is a picture of the mounting brackets used on those KZ1000 and KZ1300 "Touring" Bikes with Kawasaki by Vetter Windjammer Fairings.

KZ1300-part.aspx
I had the same problem mounting a Windjammer on my 2006 Honda VLX 600. I ended up with top and bottom mounts that are similar to the KZ-1000 mounts. The top mount attaches to the head tube and the bottom mount is attached to my down tubes but due to the design of the down tubes and placement the bottom mount ends up being too weak to support the Windjammer by itself. It's still easy to remove the Windjammer when it's time to service the bike. The upper "T" mount is disconnected from the cross bar that it attached to the fairing to the lower dimples that were drilled out for the optional horn mounting brackets inside the fairing. You need to sandwich the fairing with rubber washers between the top bar and fairing horn mount holes.