Mable...A SOHC Bagger

Discussion in 'Vetter Owners Bike Showcase' started by desert_SOHC, Jan 15, 2017.

  1. desert_SOHC
    Offline

    desert_SOHC Learning the Ropes

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    18
    Trophy Points:
    8
    I got the tune up finished up and went for a buzz and got caught in the rain, sure was glad I had a fairing. She's running AWESOME, I still need to sync the carbs, but she runs better than ever now!!

    Had a break in the rain so I started the mock up of the solo tour pack. I have the rear support sorted out and know where I'm going with the front one but need to pickup a stick of tube to make it. It's getting closer.....

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    • Like Like x 3
  2. desert_SOHC
    Offline

    desert_SOHC Learning the Ropes

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    18
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Worked most of the day on my solo tour pack setup and am happy with the results. I will have to ride around for a week or so with it to fine tune the position. I only had 1 vinyl coated clamp the right size and need to pickup another, I had a rubber coated that I made work till I get to Lowes and grab the right clamp. After that, I guess it's time to blow it apart and clean and paint. My goal is to be able to pull the whole rear bag setup off as a unit by removing 6 bolts and 1 plug so I can go with just the fairing, or fairing and small bags.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    • Like Like x 1
  3. desert_SOHC
    Offline

    desert_SOHC Learning the Ropes

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    18
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Yesterday I finally got time to buzz over to Ontario to get my extended brake hose made. I went steel braid with it cause I have a line on a guy who makes Teflon lined, steel braided throttle and clutch cables for anything.

    [​IMG]

    I've had bars for a VN750 waiting to go on but I needed a longer brake hose. Got that done today, they have an 1.5" more rise than stock and are little narrower. Riding position is better but it's still not where I want to be, so I'm still hunting for the "right" bars. With the more relaxed position now I got to move the tour pack back another 1/2 inch for a little more room. Baby steps...but steps.

    [​IMG]
     
    • Like Like x 2
  4. desert_SOHC
    Offline

    desert_SOHC Learning the Ropes

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    18
    Trophy Points:
    8
    She has been running horrible of late and has been pretty much unrideable so today I tore her apart and tackled the carbs and related rubber components. I've been doing a lot of reading and research on the PD's and how they work and have come to the conclusion that my idle circuit is to lean causing most of my drive ability issues.

    [​IMG]

    With them on the bench I went up to 38 idle jets from 35's, changed the needle clip to the center position (77 needles), and went with 118 mains. I don't know how, but my floats were WAY OFF, so I readjusted them to 12.5 mm, verified my accel pump squirt was good, and reassembled them. Next I replaced the manifold rubbers with aftermarket ones that I found from Japan, the ones I bought 2 years ago are pretty much junk with cracks showing on all of them in between the clamping wells, causing all sorts of issues. The air cleaner horns were in worse shape than the manifold rubbers, almost to the point of starting to fall apart.

    [​IMG]

    Replacing the manifold rubbers was straight forward and easy as was getting the carb rack to pop on to them. The air horns were OEM's and fit like a champ. The reassembly of the system went smooth overall with a bit of arguing from the air cleaner assembly. Double checked EVERYTHING for fitment and seal and tightened the SS clamps on all. Turned the fuel on and checked for leaks...none, 1 twist, full choke, and she burst to life again, sounding MUCH better than before. Let her warm up and took her out for a small shake down.

    [​IMG]

    I was nice to her for 10-15 miles, letting her warm up all the way with a leisurely buzz down the frontage roads. Went back home and readjusted the mixtures from 1.25 turns to around 1.5, she seems to like it there and she idles smooth at 1100 rpm, I can get her down to 1000 rpm but that's a bit choppy, need to vacuum sync the carbs. Went out on another test ride and rung her out, with good results. I have no weird hesitations off idle anymore and she pulls like a freight train to redline...okay maybe not a freight train, but like a SOHC 750 should with the 4500 to redline surge intact. Now that I have her running as she should again it's time to do the rest of her upgrades. New all-balls steering head bearings, bronze swingarm bushings, and I found an aluminum front wheel to match the rear. I have also gathered the rest of the parts needed to do a dual disc front brake conversion.

    [​IMG]
     
    • Like Like x 2

Share This Page