LED Headlight option

cmyoch

Grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello everyone. My 76 GL1000 is ready for the riding season. I noticed my headlight is not very bright and I'm looking for a replacement option that is brighter but also will not break the bank. I searched the forum the past few days for some answers and there were a few on here that installed LED bulbs but the posts were several years old. I'm curious if anyone can offer updated options and/or if those that have run LED head lamps for the past few years, what is your overall review?

Thanks in advance

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Reaction score
The LED bulbs for H4 filament type bulb replacement don't produce the correct light pattern. It's like putting a square plug in a round hole. They fit the hole on the bulb housing but stick out the back a lot more due to the required cooling fan. The LED headlights that come as a complete package do produce the correct pattern but the latest ones actually draw more current than your standard 55/60 watt H4 bulb. Most now draw 75 watts on low beam and 90 watts on high. Some draw even more than that. Most all are 7 inch lights. They usually come as a matched pair for cars and trucks so you end up with an extra light. I purchased a H4 LED bulb and took it right back out. It was brighter than the standard H4 bulb in all the wrong places and dark where you needed light. I ended up putting the standard H4 halogen bulb back in the light.

cmyoch

Grasshopper
Reaction score
I may just go with a H4 Halogen. I need to find the right housing/lens and bulb to replaced my sealed bulb that is over 40 years old.

cmyoch

Grasshopper
Reaction score
I also want to find a lens that throws out the correct light pattern. I assume an automotive bulb is not ideal.

Alan F.

Learning the Ropes
Reaction score
Website
neclassicmotoguys.freeforums.net
I've been told that automotive headlights are not ideal, but I've also ridden thousands of night time miles behind them and been very satisfied with the way they lit the road ahead.

I guess the controversy is mainly about the width of the beam, and its effect on the eyes of incoming drivers.

Honestly for me any incandescent high beam shining in my eyes is practically a welcome sight compared to any LED low beam pointed remotely in my direction. I believe the difference is in the wavelength of the light.

In recent years there was some argument against riding with automotive headlights in bikes, but now considering what's out there shining back.... I think it'll be ok. Especially with the limited availability of sealed beams.

cmyoch

Grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been told that automotive headlights are not ideal, but I've also ridden thousands of night time miles behind them and been very satisfied with the way they lit the road ahead.

I guess the controversy is mainly about the width of the beam, and its effect on the eyes of incoming drivers.

Honestly for me any incandescent high beam shining in my eyes is practically a welcome sight compared to any LED low beam pointed remotely in my direction. I believe the difference is in the wavelength of the light.

In recent years there was some argument against riding with automotive headlights in bikes, but now considering what's out there shining back.... I think it'll be ok. Especially with the limited availability of sealed beams.
I've ran an automotive bulb in my XS650 for 10 years and haven't had any issues. I considered another one for my Vetter but figured I'd look into a true motorcycle lens for comparison.

Reactions: Alan F.