How do I install the Vetter headlamp cover?

Ed Fleming

Grasshopper
Hello Craig, Thanks for the opportunity to ask you questions directly! I'm trying to figure out how to install the Vetter rubber headlamp cover securely when using a fairing.

Here is a clip from my other post on this site:

"I have a 77 Honda GL1000 Goldwing with a Windjammer SS fairing. I recently got a Vetter headlamp cover, but when I put it on the headlamp bucket it doesn't seem to be very secure (feels like it might fall off!!). Does the original headlamp bezel have to be in place for the cover to stay on? I currently have only the bucket (no rim, sealed beam or retaining rings) on my 77 gl1000. The inside edge of the rubber vetter cover has a ridge which looks like it's supposed to go into a crevice (like you might see as the joint between the bucket and the headlamp bezel..."

Thanks, - Ed

Craig Vetter

Vetter Founder
We had several sizes of headlight covers. Each was sized to snap over a particular bike's headlight. If yours does not snap on and stay there it is too big... not the right size for your bike. There could be another explanation: The cover is vinyl and could have changed shape after 35 years. I know the ones the ones I have are stiffer than when new.

You might watch for a plastic lid for something made today. Maybe you'll find one the right size.