Hi from Canada

AlexP

Grasshopper
Hi fellow Vetter users.

I bought a used Quicksilver fairing in early Spring last year and just decided to install it on a bike for the coming season. I have a 1977 Kawasaki KZ650 C1 that a built a luggage rack for and thought that would be a good candidate for this little fairing.

The fairing is #12-046172 so I believe it was manufactured sometime in 1982 (just a guess) The PO had it mounted to a NINJA 500 and had his own cobbled up mounting bracket attached to it. Unfortunately he drilled a few extra holes in it I need to patch up. So I bought it without a mounting bracket or turn signals, but it did come with the pocket covers and the wiring harness.

Recently I did manage to buy a NOS Vetter mounting bracket and hardware on Ebay.

Currently I am in the process of mounting some aftermarket turn signals and getting it ready to paint match to my gas tank/body panel color.

That's it for now, more to follow.

Cheers, Alex.

Dave Ireland

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Greetings from Ireland! Even fewer of the Quicksilvers made it across here, so they were always a rare sight this side of the pond.

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Howdy from California! Welcome to the forum. I see you found the Current Vetter Projects forum! Thanks for sharing pictures! Looking forward. Let me know if you have any questions about the forum.

AlexP

Grasshopper
Thanks all.

This is my first crack at a dedicated touring bike, admittedly a light touring bike... This is my first ever fairing purchase. I am even going back to all the things I shunned in my youth - stock air box, stock exhaust system, CV carbs, stock handle bars, dual mirrors.

I have ridden some bikes with fairings but not for any extended periods and have never owned a bike that had one so this will be different.

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
Welcome to the forum from South of the Border. One thing you will notice riding behind a fairing... long distance riding is a lot easier and more enjoyable.

AlexP

Grasshopper
Yes, looking forward to it. I am planning a trip out to Newfoundland, don't think I will make it for this summer, a more realistic target is the following summer.

A lot of shorter local trips for the coming season to make sure it all works.

This is what I started with :

AlexP

Grasshopper
Yeah, The PO gave up on it... He had every part of the bike stripped down including the motor. I got it for $200, not too many missing parts, mainly small stuff.

The motor is already back in one piece, I have a to re chrome the fenders and paint the tins, then reassemble everything. I did a similar bike a few summers ago so this is familiar to me.

Alan 63

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Yeah, The PO gave up on it... He had every part of the bike stripped down including the motor. I got it for $200, not too many missing parts, mainly small stuff.

The motor is already back in one piece, I have a to re chrome the fenders and paint the tins, then reassemble everything. I did a similar bike a few summers ago so this is familiar to me.
Looks good and a great find. Btw welcome aboard from Saskatoon .
With the Quiksilver the 650 will make a great touring mount for one.
Alan

Dave Ireland

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Welcome to the forum from South of the Border. One thing you will notice riding behind a fairing... long distance riding is a lot easier and more enjoyable.
Ditto that; you realise after the first ride that your ears aren't ringing, your neck and shoulders don't ache and you don't feel drained, if it's been a long one.
Pretty soon, you start going longer and longer trips, knowing you'll be at the other end of the journey, dry, comfortable and still reasonably fresh.
Oh, you still get all the stimulants of crazy drivers, bad weather, icy conditions, storms, hail, aggravating cops, etc, but because you're not battered by the weather you tend to be more sanguine about the mad humans.

Mike324

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Hi fellow Vetter users.

I bought a used Quicksilver fairing in early Spring last year and just decided to install it on a bike for the coming season. I have a 1977 Kawasaki KZ650 C1 that a built a luggage rack for and thought that would be a good candidate for this little fairing.

The fairing is #12-046172 so I believe it was manufactured sometime in 1982 (just a guess) The PO had it mounted to a NINJA 500 and had his own cobbled up mounting bracket attached to it. Unfortunately he drilled a few extra holes in it I need to patch up. So I bought it without a mounting bracket or turn signals, but it did come with the pocket covers and the wiring harness.

Recently I did manage to buy a NOS Vetter mounting bracket and hardware on Ebay.

Currently I am in the process of mounting some aftermarket turn signals and getting it ready to paint match to my gas tank/body panel color.

That's it for now, more to follow.

Cheers, Alex.
Welcome from the Ottawa Valley.