Hello from Detroit

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sdvancop, Jun 7, 2017.

1. sdvancop

sdvancop Grasshopper

Hi my name is Scott and I am new to the forum. I ran across it looking for parts for my WIndjammer SS and III. Does anybody make make replacement turn signal lenses? If so do they make them clear as opposed to the standard orange?

2. Scott-E

Scott-E Vetter Aficionado

The only place to get turn signal lenses is to buy them used on eBay. If you want clear lenses you'll need to make them yourself. Lexan can be heated to 315 degrees and then placed on a form. It will take the shape of the form while hot. Once cool it can be removed from the form, trimmed to fit, and use 3M glue to attach it to the turn signal pod. You can make forms out of soft wood such as pine and cover the form with felt.

3. brianinpa

brianinpa Five Star Vetteral

Welcome to the forum! Scott nailed it as far as the clear turn signal lenses are concerned, but I have to wonder... where are clear lenses legal, or are you using amber bulbs?

4. Scott-E

Scott-E Vetter Aficionado

Clear lenses are legal as long as you use amber bulbs behind them. Nearly all modern cars use clear lens with amber or red bulbs or LED's behind them.
    If I were going to go to the effort of making a wood form for clear Lexan lenses I would go ahead and use amber LED's behind those clear lenses. A frame could be made to hold the LED's to the Lexan.
    Something else to think about is using amber tape on the inside of the Lexan. It will last a very long time as it's on the inside of the lens where it's protected from the weather and road debris.
    [​IMG]

5. AVetterXS

AVetterXS Admin

Welcome to the forum Scott!