Easy on, easy off (and on again)

Dave Ireland

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
I fitted this Vetter a year ago, after having carefully inspected every wiring connection in the area of the headlamp shell, of course. I knew it would be a pita to take the fairing back off to fix a corroded or broken wire.
Guess what happened last week?
That's right, I missed one. Only the most important one, from the ignition switch, too.
I can swear I checked and tested it, but some sneaky little corrosion and vibration was going on underneath the joint and the bike cut out on me just as I was pulling into home, so it didn't leave me stuck anywhere.
Even with all the extra bits and bobs I fitted, the fairing was off in under an hour, and back on just as quickly.
Not quite as quick as simply removing the headlamp shell, of course, but that's the price of having weather protection.
I'm now dead sure there are no other sneaky little connections waiting to ambush me, but it's a 36 year old loom and copper gets old. I will look seriously at a total re-wire in the next couple of years.

Dave Ireland

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
... and the first properly cold start today after fitting the fairing with repaired connections.
Just touched the start button and it burst into life, like it used to do.
When it stopped doing that a couple of months ago, I knew there was a connection going bad somewhere, just not which one.