Dimensions trunk lenses - new lenses plug and play

dieter

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Can anybody tell me the exact diameter and distance of mounting holes for the lenses installed in the trunk? I could by a trunk in good condition - but with all lenses missing. Looking for a replacements and found already some lenses with 100mm diameter.
The already mentioned Blazer B55UW Metal Stop/Tail/ Turn lights have 3 7/8 what is about 98mm.

Best regards and much thanks in advance

Dieter

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
The Blazer B55UW lights don't require cutting and drilling the trunk. Every other light that comes close do. Craig Vetter on his website lists LED lights that are close but they are expensive and are special order from one source. I haven't checked availability in several years so even those may not be available now. The B55UW lights are cheap and available at every local automotive parts store everywhere and even replacement lenses are available so you don't need to buy the entire light and wire it in if your lenses get broken. The only extra parts you need to install them are longer screws to compensate for the thickness of the trunk when you sandwich the lens on the outside of the trunk with the light shell on the inside. The bulb socket is also protected a lot better from anything that might be rolling around in the trunk that those original funnel type bulb sockets. If you want LED lights you can get LED bulbs that will fit just like the filament type bulbs. You may need blocking diodes in-line as some of those type LED bulbs don't come with them. What happens is other lights in the vehicles circuit will light up when they should not do so.

dieter

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
Hi Scott,

thanks for your answer.

As I live in Germany - those Blazer lights aren't that available at the local automotive parts store....:cheers.

But I found a good source for lenses with 100mm dia. Therefore my question for the exact dimensions. However - tomorrow I'll pick up my trunk and will measure by myself.

Dieter

Last edited:

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Hi Scott,

thanks for your answer.

As I live in Germany - those Blazer lights aren't that available at the local automotive parts store....:cheers.

But I found a good source for lenses with 100mm dia. Therefore my question for the exact dimensions. However - tomorrow I'll pick up my trunk and will measure by myself.

Dieter
Here in the USA lights must meet DOT (Department of Transportation) requirements. Back in the 70's when Craig designed the trunk new Part 393 lamp regulations created in 1977 were not in effect. The lamps in the trunk were therefore grandfathered which allowed the same lamps to be manufactured and installed on the trunk until it was redesigned or changed in any way. Not long after Craig sold off the business which went bankrupt under new management. Those Trunk lights are too small to meet the (then) new 1977 regulations so exact sized lights will never be available here in the USA and I'm pretty sure it's the same over in Germany where you are. I don't think you will run into problems fitting new German code (whatever those standards are) lights in your trunk. You could sandwich some sheet aluminium over the holes in the trunk and mount your new lights and/or reflectors on that.

dieter

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
The above mentioned lenses are plug and play. You just need two bolts M30x3 with nut and shim.

Rücklicht 1.jpg
Rücklicht 2.jpg