Cruise control install

Discussion in 'Non-Vetter Bikes, Fairings, & Projects' started by Larry Fine, May 23, 2017.

1. Larry Fine

Larry Fine Vetter Aficionado

I waited until I was done to post this, mainly because I was too lazy until now. I just installed a Rostra 250-1223 Global (i.e., universal) electronic (non-vacuum) cruise control on the Nighthawk, and after a couple of test runs and DIP-switch setting tweaks, it works rather well.

I used a Trail Tech 8500-RS switch as a handlebar controller. The servo/electronics box is mounted below the battery box/air filter housing, above the swing-arm pivot, behind the transmission. There is an empty space with a convenient, unused threaded tab hanging there.

I used two relays: one powered by the kill-switch wire for main power, and one to ground the clutch-switch wire when I tap the center (cancel) controller switch. I put a 50-ohm resistor in-line with the units grounded-when-engaged wire to dimly light the side-stand-down light.

Any questions?

2. brianinpa

brianinpa Five Star Vetteral

:DNo pictures... it didn't happen! :D

My 87 Interstate is a prime candidate for cruise-control but I am just not sure that is something I want to tackle. After reading your description, I am rethinking. Now I gotta go look at that unit some more.

3. Larry Fine

Larry Fine Vetter Aficionado

It was four basic steps, plus de- and re-mounting the Vetter, body parts, and tank.

1. Modify and shorten the wiring harnesses to suit connections used and lengths.
    2. Install speed-sense magnets and pick-up coil (unless bike has electronic VSS).
    3. Find a place to install and mount the main unit and connect the throttle cable.
    4. Install the chosen control switch, make electrical connections, and reassemble.

I'd say it took me the equivalent of two afternoons; most wiring mods done inside.